Friday, August 8, 2008

From Statesboro to Athens

Today I am in Athens, Georgia--where UGA is located. I know a lot of people are confused about how I got here, so let me explain. On Monday, another one of the consultants and I drove the Phi Mu van 3.5 hours to Statesboro, GA. Yesterday, I drove it back to Peachtree City. Then Amy (my boss) drove me to the airport where I met up with another one of the consultants, and we rode a shuttle from Atlanta to Athens. It was about a 1.5 hour ride, in a twelve passenger van that was completely full, plus a CRAZY driver! I am only here until Sunday morning, when I'm flying from Atlanta to some airport close to Chapel Hill. You won't have to worry about keeping up with my schedule much after that, because I am going to be there until for awhile.

The girls in the Alpha Alpha chapter are awesome! Their house is HUGE! Their chapter itself is HUGE! They only had the sophomores there today and there were 54 of them. They do things very differently than we do back West, so I had a blast watching them practice songs and acting as a PNM! They were just repeating everything this afternoon that they did this morning, so the president brought us back to the hotel around 2 this afternoon. I caught up on emails and phone calls, then we walked to some boutiques just a few blocks from our hotel. Up until today, I have done so well at not buying anything, mainly because I have no where to put it. My suitcase already weighed 49 pounds when I left home, however I could not pass up this super cute pair of black flats I found that were only $15! I have no idea where I'm going to put them, but I'll deal with that tomorrow night when I'm packing.

Now I have to tell you about dinner tonight! The chapter adviser took us to eat, and she called earlier asking where we wanted to go. We told her somewhere local, then she started listing genres. She mentioned BBQ and we both like that, so we told her that's what we wanted. When she picked us up, she told us that she asked one of her friends where to take us, and he gave her the name of the best, in his opinion, BBQ place in town. She told us that it was a little hole in the wall place, but we pulled up and it wasn't a little hole in the wall place, because you have to have a wall before you can have a hole in it!! It was located in what looked like was a gas station a good fifty years ago, it was just randomly on the side of the road all by itself. It was called Eat 'Em Ups. So we go in and it was. . . you know, I can't find a word to describe it. The menu was a chalk board by the counter that listed the 3 different meat options and the 5 different side items. That was it! There were 3 tables in there, so it's a good thing they weren't too busy or else we wouldn't have been able to sit down. In the middle of the restaurant was a book case type thing, where they had merchandise I guess you'd call it. The selection of items on this book case thing was hot sauce, baked beans, Vienna Sausages, Pine-Sol, and Raid. I am still upset that I didn't have my camera with me! The food wasn't bad. I didn't care for the BBQ sauce, because none of it was sweet, but I guess they don't have sweet BBQ sauce in this part of the country. After we finished eating, the chapter adviser bought us some boiled peanuts--yes, they sold those too. I'd never had boiled peanuts before. They kind of tasted like beans, they were a little strange to say the least While the atmosphere of the restaurant was a little. . . different, the adviser was super nice and close to our age so overall, dinner was fun.

Sorry this post was so long, but I had a lot I wanted to tell you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Black flats? Why am I not suprised?! Did your suitcase go over 50lbs? I'm very curious to see if you'll have to end up buying another suitcase before this year is over!?!

I can only imagine what this resturant looked like and I'm sure it wasn't very clean...I wish you would've had your camera as well!!!

Anyway...I love you and I miss you and December is way to long to go without seeing you!! Missing you TONS!!!