Friday, January 16, 2009

Comfort Food

I realized throughout last semester that I was gaining a little weight, and over Christmas break when I was eating constantly I kept telling myself, "I'm really going to work on loosing weight once I start working again."

I've been back on the road for about a week now, and while I know I want to lose weight, it has not stopped me from eating Chick-fil-a, an entire small pizza from Papa John's in one sitting, cake, cookies, brownies, potatoes every way you can cook them, banana pudding, more pizza, chips and dip, nachos, and chicken wings. None of these things are healthy, yet I still eat them. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't resist these foods that are anything, but low calorie. Then it hit me a couple days ago, I'm turning to these foods because they are comforting. I just spent four weeks at home and now I'm adjusting to being back on the road, not to mention dealing with flight delays, sleeping on an uncomfortable air mattress, not being fed so I've had to go find food. When I'm having a rough day, I just think, "you've had a rough day, you deserve some more mashed potatoes."

Even now that I realized what I was doing, it isn't helping me to eat any better! I'm hoping that in the next few days I will be adjusted and won't rely on food to make me happy anymore. I'm going to have to wait until I go to my next chapter though, because we eat in the cafeteria where I am now and the food is amazing. I'm sure you think I'm crazy, but it really is good. They have like 50 options, plus a whole wall of desserts, AND an ice cream bar. I don't mean a frozen yogurt machine and a bowl of sprinkles next to it. There is an ice cream freezer/counter thing, where a guy stands behind it and you walk up and tell him which of the 8 flavors you'd like. He then scoops it in a cup for you and there are all sorts of toppings from hot fudge to sprinkles to crushed up cookies and the list goes on. I'm like a kid in a candy store every time we go to eat! Thankfully, I'm heading to Chapel Hill on Sunday, so I'll get back to eating better when I'm there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post made me tear up. I'm not sure if it's the fact that you miss home or I miss you?! Either way it will all be over with in 4 months...and counting! I hope the girls at Chapel Hill were happy to see you back and nice to you! Love you so much!

Unknown said...

Welcome to my life! I eat comfort foods constantly, with the same "excuses," but I don't really have one at all. At least you're away from home, and that's actually a legitimate excuse!